Some of the best exercises for men often get overlooked but is your workout really complete without them?. “As a guy”, your back and your core are vital in your day to day life.
Basic things that human beings do like moving, posture and lifting things rely on core strength. This is why you can’t afford to slack in your back workout routine. Luckily, I’m here to help you out:).
Reasons Why Men Should Consider Back Exercises
People often underestimate the impact of back workouts. As a matter of fact, working on your back (posterior) is just as important as exercising anterior parts of your body (chest, abs, etc).
For Posture, your back muscles and shape are very important. Everyone wants to have a good posture and working on your back muscles is the way to achieve this.
Refusal to work on your back can also create an imbalance in your physique. Developing your anterior muscles is great but you have to create a balance by working on your back as well. This especially applies to men.
Regarding your core strength, your back muscles play a big role as well. The strength of your back and shoulder muscles determines your ability to lift weights or objects. This includes everyday tasks that we do. As you can see, it already has an impact on your anterior workouts as well.
The best back exercises for men can also help prevent or get rid of back pain. There are some back workouts and stretches that specifically for back pain relief.
When it comes to workouts, it’s safe to say that men and women should handle things differently sometimes. The same goes for back exercises. Here are some key points that guide the choice of these workout sets:
- Reduced Number Of Reps: Research shows that women can do more reps than men at a given intensity (low-medium). This is due to the fact that women are more resilient while men get tired quicker when working at these intensities. This is why female exercises are more effective with higher reps per set.
- Men Can Handle More Explosive Workouts: Different workouts have different intensities. Study shows that men are favored in high-intensity workouts. This is because men have a better nervous system. As a matter of fact, men have shown to perform higher reps-per-set than women at high-intensity workouts. This is why high intensity back workouts are preferable for men. They will prove to be more effective.
These criteria form a guide to get the most out of the chosen back workout sets for men. Each workout will conform to male strengths and weaknesses for better results.
Top Back Exercises For Men
To the order of business, here are the best back exercises for men guaranteed to grow your muscle and strength:
1. Inclined push-ups
Same with the regular push-up position but with your body inclined on a surface. You can use surfaces of lower angles for a better challenge.
Burpees help work on your back, chest and arms. Procedure:
- Take a squat position with both your hands (palms) on the floor.
- Move to standard push-up position.
- Rise up quickly.
All you need is a pull-up bar.
- When raising yourself up, ensure your chin reaches above the bar.
- Ensure that your arms are spread a bit wider than the width of your shoulders.
You’ll need a barbell for this one.
- Your hands should be shoulder-width apart.
- Ensure that your back is straight (flat) when picking up the barbell.
- Lift the barbell to your thigh level.
- Carry out your up and down motion carefully.
5. Dumbbell Rows (Each Hand)
- Should be done on a flat bench.
- Rest your left hand and knee on a bench.
- With your right hand, grab a dumbbell and row it up.
- Repeat the same for your other hand.
6. Dumbbell Rows (both hands)
Similar to single hand dumbbell rows in no.5 above.
- Your body should rest flat on an inclined bench at a 30-35 degree angle. Your arms should however be free on each side.
- Use both hands to grab dumbbells and row them up simultaneously.
- Lie flat on the floor with your hands stretched up.
- Raise your arms and legs in the air. They should also be straight.
8. Lat Pulldown
Should be done with a lat pulldown station or a cable machine. Pull the bar towards your chest, take a small rest and then return it back. Your arms should be at least a shoulder width apart.
9. Barbell Back Squat
From a standing position and with a barbell on your shoulder.
- Your feet should be at shoulder-width apart and pointer out slightly.
- Use your hips and knees to lower your body as far as you can.
10. Cat Cow Pose
- Take a cat pose with your arm under your shoulder and your knee under your butt.
- Make your stomach fall down and your head go up.
- Next, curve your back upwards and bring your head back down.
11. Kettlebell Swing
- Keep a squatting position.
- Your arm should be parallel to the floor at the highest point of your swing.
12. Child’s pose
- Knee on the floor while keeping your toes together.
- Your butt should touch your knees while your forehead touches the floor.
- Being your chest lower (outwards) towards the floor.
13. Cobra Stretch
- Start by lying on your stomach.
- Your arms should be under your shoulders.
- Bring your chest upwards as much as you can by stretching.
These are some of the best back exercises for men for your routine. Also, you’re bound to see and feel results in no time. Looking for a little extra motivation? here are Important Reasons Why Men Should Workout.
Enjoyed this? Follow me on my socials for updates on the go✨.